Friday, January 21, 2005

Read-Your-Head

As if writing about blogs isn’t ridiculous enough, I’ve recently discovered something very disturbing about the words I put here - people are reading them.

It’s not just a few friends and family either. People at work read it. Some are people I hardly know. Others are people I know well. It gets really scary when my boss and people who work with me start reading what I write. I really should demand that my posts are not read, as they’re wasting time that should be more usefully spent on our long list of projects to do.

The reason I know this is not because people have told me they read this or they’ve been posting comments. By default at my workplace, the desktop is named the same as your email id. Worse, when you visit any web site on the internet, there are no protections to disable that name from appearing in the site’s logs there. Exploiting this fact, I went through the website logs for The RadioHead and ran a report on who was reading my blog.

It’s really strange when you meet a person you hardly know and he already knows you from your blog. “Yeah, you’re that radiohead guy!” Oh boy, I hope not.

Again I realize the irony of saying this, but it’s wierd having people I know in one sphere of life being so aware of what’s going on in other parts of my life.

There's probably one of the things I agree with Scott McNealy, CEO of Sun, and it’s this quote: “You have zero privacy anyway. Get over it.

3 Comments:

At 11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not so sure that it's bad thing for your colleagues to read what you post. It means you have way more of a life than they do!! And also, they're watching you watch them watch you, which thinking about it gives you some element of control over them. Whatever..... 

Posted by Addu

 
At 6:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, that feels weird indeed. There you go, I read your blog! 

Posted by Viju

 
At 5:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not so bad! I mean people should realise that u do have a life after all...in fact, they will know you better since the typed word is more revealing than the spoken word!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home