Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Riyadh Travelogue - episode 2

From the Silver Seraphs to the Maseratis, Riyadh has it all. Some of the cars that seem to be popular with the locals are the Hummer H3's and the new 7 series. Honda Accord and Toyota Camry (the ones available in India) were also seen in plenty there.

I had the privilege of being driven in a few 4WDs during my stay there. These included a Cayenne Turbo , GMC Yukon (thanks to a local family friend) and my uncle's brand new Nissan Armada.

The Cayenne was a great experience. It was my first time ever in a Porsche and I had to constantly remind myself that this was a car meant for offroading unlike the 911s. The drive was exhilarating. You can literally feel those 450 horses pull the car during acceleration. The Cayenne can be compared to the Mercedes ML55 AMG and the BMW X5.

GMC Yukon is a monster. I didn't find anything interesting in it apart from its size which was quite intimidating.

The Nissan Armada was like a celebrity. There were lots of on-lookers when my uncle and I took the car out for a drive near the corniche. Apparently, nissan had launched only 100 of these on a test basis to see how the market responded and from what I noticed, it did appear to be quite popular. A perfect SUV for a family.

While trying to source a URL for the Armada, I tried nissan.com and was surprised to find this message. God, this is so Internet 1.0!

The Range Rover Autobiography, however, remains my favourite off-roader.

I also managed to go to a couple of showrooms to check out few toys that I would own some day! :)















5 Comments:

At 11:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Somebody had a great time in those beautiful set of wheels! I love going to Dubai because every trip you are exposed to cars you have never seen before. They have cars with sheer luxury. Models never heard of!

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger ioiio said...

I wudnt mind riding that yamaha.. Well for now.. back to dreaming

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger RS said...

I'm back now :-(

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Ram Subramanian said...

Hey Adel .. nice photographs ..

I have a complaint .. u take too long between posts ..

I also have a question .. do u know how to leave a trackback URL on a blogger webpage specific to a particular post... So possibly my post in reply to yours on cars and bikes is listed at the bottom of yours if i leave a trackback .. DId i make sense ??

I know how to do it on MT .. am still searching on how to do it on a blogger account .. does google have it disabled for fear of spam..

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger Adel Anwar said...

Ram:

Sorry about the delay in posts. Cant help it atleast for the next couple of weeks.

Blogger doesn't allow trackback.
Haloscan does though. So will check it out soon and update you on that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home